Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The long bus home


Years ago I took a bus from Lawrence to Wichita. I can't remember now the reason for the trip or why driving was not an option, it's all lost to a dozen years of other facts and figures, but the fact remains that I took this trip. After the "should have been a three hours trip" turned into five and then seven it was overwhelming to finally arrive. I remember that Dad picked me up from the bus station and I was so glad to see him, just standing there like scene from a movie, wearing those jeans with the perpetually ripped belt loop and a blue (always blue) shirt. His Santa white hair was flying about in the wind and he had a jacket tucked neatly under his arm. Dad's clean figure contrasted with all the grime and dirt from the station and made me glad to be home despite the long drive.

No comments: