Tuesday, April 15, 2008

And the friendship remains intact

Last week I emailed one of my favorite best couple friends in utter defeat. I felt as though our friendship was altered somehow, like we had been distant for so long that it might have been too difficult a rift to mend. It's possible it was just the 37 weeks of pregnancy talking and not my real feelings but regardless, I missed them. I told them that lately I've felt as though life has gotten in the way of some of the little things I need to do. Things like sending Gran Fran a birthday card that I should have sent in August, visiting my parents who live less than 3 hours away - I have not been home to visit since right after Thanksgiving, and calling some of my friends who live far far away. And in telling them it made it all seem better to me, it made it just like I'd talked to them yesterday or had a hot chocolate with them last week.

I realized in writing them that I had been so caught up in my own life that sometimes I was forgetting about others, or maybe not forget just put them off (not that this would be more acceptable). It's like cleaning the house - I put it off for as long as possible until either N or I get so fed up with the mess we break down and have a marathon cleaning. Then the slippery slope starts again with the first dirty dish or dirty shirt on the floor. It's like that with contacting those I truly care about- it's easy to put of that phone call or email because I know that no matter how long it takes me to call that relationship is going to be intact with the first renewed contact. I'm positive that when both parties have time to talk or visit again I'll laugh until I either pee my pants or snort out loud. And now that I think about it, I'm OK with that.

No comments: