Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Stripping of the membranes

So what actually happens when you have your membranes stripped. This lovely procedure involves the OBGYN placing their fingers inside your cervix and swishing them around to break the membranes that reside between the bag of waters and the wall of the cervix. It is supposed to lower the bag of waters and put pressure on the cervix assisting in ripening and hopefully initiating the start of contractions. It feels only a bit more comfortable than it sounds and the worst part is that it does nothing if your body if not ready to give birth. It does not induce labor if the baby is not yet ready to be born. After she stripped my membranes (which ironically enough every time I say it makes me think of the term screwed ones brains out which is exactly what Nick and I did in order to get me into a position where having stripping my membranes was even an option) I thought for sure that I had lost my mucus plug - that lovely bloody snot like plug I've been looking for weeks for. Alas, 8 hours later still no contractions and no other symptoms.